Top Ways to Experience Winter in South Georgian Bay
South Georgian Bay is truly a four-season area & there is so much to do when there is snow on the ground besides skiing & snowboarding. We do love hitting the slopes, (I mean, who doesn’t?), but there are a number of different ways you can experience a true South Georgian Bay winter, keep reading to find out what they are.
- We can’t leave out visiting Blue Mountain Resort! Whether you are a skier, snowboarder or neither, there is so much to do at the resort, and we’re not just talking in the winter time, there are fun things to do all year long! But if you do visit in the winter time, other activities you can take part in is snowshoeing, skating the loop atop the mountain, riding the Ridge Runner roller coaster, tubing at Hike N Tube, and of course taking part in the apres’ ski deals/specials at the Village.
- Hitting the trails at Scenic Caves Nordic Centre. Snowshoe the 10km of trails or cross-country ski on the 27km of ski or skate trails. They also offer Night Snowshoe Hikes on select dates until March. Make sure your phone is fulled charged prior to your snowshoe or ski adventure so you are able to take some great insta-worthy pictures from the iconic Suspension Bridge! Make sure to check the Trail Conditions before heading out.
- Itching for more nordic trails to experience? Visit Highlands Nordic, located just south of Collingwood in Duntroon. There is 22km of track set & skating tails plus 7km of snowshoe trails, which by the way, offer stunning views of Wasaga Beach & the lowlands area. Rentals are available as well as March Break programs for the kids. There is also a toboggan hill that is separated from the trails, don’t forget to bring your own toboggan & check to see if the hill is open prior to heading out.
- Another popular nordic centre with some of the finest nordic skiing in South Georgian Bay is the Wasaga Beach Provincial Park. There is 24km of total ski trails at this location as well as 10km of back country snowshoe trails. Rentals are available and make sure to keep your eyes peeled as you might even spot some wildlife as you explore the trails. (Make sure you check the Trail Conditions before you venture out!).
- For the fearless & brave, booking a Winter Caving tour with Free Spirit Tours is a must to experience a true, authentic SGB winter. Join Free Spirit Tours as you snowshoe through the woods to explore some of the Niagara Escarpment’s uniquely formed caves. Once at the caves, the snowshoes will come off and you will explore the underground world. Winter Caving tour duration is a half day & costs $70 per person, (transportation included).
- Snowshoe in the back country or under the stars with Eagle Adventure Experiences. They can customize your outing to your wishes and you may use your own equipment. Rentals are also provided for half day or a full day.
- Snowshoe, Waterfall & Wine Tour with SummerBound, (a division of Ace Cabs). Prepare to be wowed as you experience Eugenia & Hoggs Falls. This is set up to be easy going and relaxing and is great for anyone who wants to enjoy the waterfalls. You will stop at Georgian Hills Vineyards where you will partake in sampling 4 wines or ciders and their famous Ida Red ice wine paired with cheddar cheese. Afterwards, your next stop will be just minutes down the road to Thornbury Village Cider House where each person in the group will get to choose between a flight of cider, wine or beer while you relax inside their cozy tasting room. (Package includes transportation from Collingwood & Blue Mountain Resort area, snacks on the bus, snowshoes, guide and tasting).
- Skate at one of the outdoor ice rinks in the area. Both Collingwood and Wasaga Beach have outdoor rinks until March or so. The Collingwood outdoor rink is located behind the YMCA and is open for public skating everyday, weather permitting, and it’s also free! The Wasaga Beach outdoor rink is located beside the RecPlex and is open for public/pleasure skating Tuesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, (weather permitting), and is also free! Click HERE for more skating times & locations.
- Book an Extreme Snowshoe Tour with Xtreme Adventures. High atop the Niagara escarpment you will take in a gorgeous view of Georgian Bay, Wasaga Beach and Collingwood from one of the highest elevations along the Bruce Trail. Your adventure begins by being picked up Military Style! The H1 Hummer, one of the most capable off road 4×4 vehicles ever made, will take you and/or your party to explore scenery as extravagant as those you might see in your dreams! You can also book a snowshoe tour without the H1 Hummer vehicle if you prefer to meet the group at the start of the trail.
- Book a brewery tour & experience the best of local cider, wine & craft beer with The Beer Bus. The craft brewing industry is booming in South Georgian Bay, with Creemore Springs Brewery plus 3 breweries in Collingwood alone, we also can’t forget about the ciders & vineyards, too! The Beer Bus offers 3 winter tours: The Hoppy Hour Brewery Tour, Breakfast Beers Brewery & Cidery Tour & the Grapes, Apples & Hops Tour which is a brewery, cidery AND winery tour all in one.