This 34 km former Northern Railway route stretches from Collingwood to Meaford and has more than 30 access points. The original railway line connected the towns of Collingwood and Meaford. Completed in 1872 the rail was used for transportation of goods and passengers up until its abandonment in 1984. October 31, 1989 was the official opening date of the Georgian Trail and would prove a great success for both local residence and visitors to the South Georgian Bay.
The flat crushed stone surface, ideal for walking and cycling, cuts through some scenic features, the Georgian Bay waterfront, apple orchards, parks and beaches.
The trail also passes by numerous easy to access beaches and conservation areas: Northwinds Beach, Peasmarsh, Council Beach, Craigleith Provincial Park, Christie Beach and many more!